Chicago / USA
This position will mechanically build/assemble, debug, install, and service all types of custom industrial automation equipment. Always works to beat the schedule and budget of an assigned project. Builder will meet or exceed the quality of customer and BBS specifications.
- Organize, plan and execute all phases of machine construction.
- Assemble all aspects of a machine or multi-system from drawings and/or verbal instructions.
- Fabricate critical machine components as required.
- Interface with electrical personnel concerning electrical and programming issues.
- Reviews designs with Engineering for new custom machines when required
- Verifies conformity of parts to BOM and prints
- Use knowledge of pneumatic functions, devices and fittings, to achieve desired results.
- Adjust cam timing, rotary positions (i.e. indexing units) as necessary.
- Use knowledge of OSHA requirements for machine safety devices and guards.
- Perform machine parts and assembly modifications as required, interfacing with engineering when changes are major or of a critical nature.
- Works as team leader (lead builder) on smaller projects when required.
- Record changes/redlines to machine parts and assemblies on engineering drawings.
- Debug entire machine, with engineering, as necessary.
- Perform in-house acceptance run-off.
- Interface with customer when necessary.
- Install and service machines at customer’s site as required.
- Train customer’s personnel on machine operations and maintenance.
- Provide information for machine technical documentation..
- Maintain tools and equipment in a safe, clean and orderly fashion.
- When not building projects, works in the machine shop manufacturing parts (per machinist job description)
- Follow work instructions and maintain checklists.
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Five years minimum experience in machine building.
- Journeyman tool maker or equivalent skills.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Must be knowledgeable in the proper use and selection of tools and equipment.
- Inspection and measurement tools such as Vernier, caliper, and scales, etc.
- Hand tools such as a variety of wrenches, pliers, saws, power drills, etc.
- Machinery such as milling machine, surface grinders, lathe, etc.
employee is subject to exposure to high noise levels and/or physical hazards when working on the manufacturing floor.